Smoky Chicken Tortilla Soup
When it rains, I get an immediate craving for soup! My hubby, Josh, always asks for his favorite… chicken noodle soup! Since I often look for a reason to add my Mexican flair to my recipes, I incorporated both of our tastes with a smoky chicken tortilla soup!
- Roasting chicken-season with: cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, thyme, freshly ground pepper, and a pinch of Kosher salt.
- Corn tortillas– five, diced
- Vegetables– (diced) carrots, celery, onion
- Herbs– cilantro and thyme
- Legumes– kidney beans, cooked
- Smoky flavors and deliciousness– chipotle peppers, roasted garlic cloves, chile de arbol powder
- Garnish– guacamole, crunchy tortilla strips
Roast your chicken in the oven. Cool it, and shred it. Save the bones for chicken stock!
Two pots: One for chicken stock; one for sauteing and bringing the flavors out of your ingredients.
Saute in a little olive oil: corn tortillas, smoky flavors and deliciousness, herbs, vegetables, and kidney beans. When your vegetables are soft, add in the shredded chicken and chicken stock. Bring up to a boil and let the flavors marry.
This soup is addictive! Once you have a spoonful of the steaming hot, spicy, savory broth; the tender, sweet vegetables; the juicy, garlicky- chicken, and my favorite part- the guacamole; you will not want to stop! I, myself, had three bowls. Luckily, this soup is low in fat, and spicy foods are known to accelerate the metabolism!
If you have any soup left, you can freeze it for up to three months! This is very convenient for healthy eating and satisfying your taste buds, with minimum effort!