Portobello Salad Tossed in a Rich Burgundy Wine Vinaigrette
Salad is always a good idea! It is a quick and easy way to use anything you have in your fridge. To keep it exciting and nutritious, use a variety of fresh ingredients that pair perfectly together.
The key is to balance flavors* This red Burgundy Wine Vinaigrette has the richness of dark cherries, the sweetness of raw-unfiltered honey, and the savory flavors of fresh thyme, parsley, and garlic.
Here is how you can make this delightful salad at home:
- Five baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 red bell pepper
- 1/4 yellow onion
- Fresh mixed greens
- Julienne your vegetables (this means slicing into 1/8th of an inch slices) *It doesn’t have to be perfect, just as similar in size as you can get them
- Sautée in a little olive oil, and set aside.
For the rich Burgundy wine Vinaigrette: (Yield: 1/2 cup)
- Two cups of Burgundy red wine
- One cup of good quality extra-virgin olive oil *the taste will come through in the vinagrette
- Two cloves of fresh garlic (or as much garlic as you want)
- Two sprigs of thyme
- Generous pinch of fresh parsley
- Dash of kosher salt
- Tablespoon of raw-unfiltered honey *this is my favorite honey thus far
- Tablespoon of honey mustard *this will help bind the vinaigrette and more honey? yes, please!
- Add all of your ingredients in a large pan (except for the honey mustard)
- Bring up to a boil, then down to a simmer. When it becomes thick, it is ready for the blender!
- Add the honey mustard, taste your vinaigrette to see if you want to adjust any ingredients, blend for a few minutes, and voila!
Toss your salad and enjoy!
Josh said this salad was amazing; that he had never tasted anything like it and it is now one of his favorites!
This meaty, savory, delectable salad will change the way you look at mushrooms.